Thursday, June 5, 2014

Layers...

This past weekend Matt was working in Kansas City, which meant I was along for the ride...and that I had four whole days of shopping in KC! That's a dangerous notion, and I had a very strict budget, but it sure was fun! I went to several vintage boutiques (including this amazing one I stumbled upon), two giant antique malls, made 6 trips to Home Goods, got to visit one of my very favorite places - Nell Hill's, and had a grand time with Meg shopping and restyling her living room.

I picked up a few things for our home and a few things for the sale (if I can let them go, that is). I had had a few specific accessories in my mind for a while, so I tried to find several of those. They're what I like to think of as the "layers" of a house. The cherry on top of a beautifully appointed room. Here is what I found.


I was really hoping to find a large antique dough bowl for our dining room table. I actually found the perfect one but at $175 I just couldn't do it. They do go for that price but I'm always looking for a bargain. 


Then when Meg and I were in Nell Hill's KC location, I spotted these beautiful baguette boards. They are similar to the shape and texture of a dough bowl but longer and shallower to accommodate a French baguette. At $18 it was a great compromise and such a fun find!


I added it to our very long expanse of counter below the bar, which actually works perfectly as it visually breaks up the counter top but doesn't use much space or get in the way of cooking. I also found these fun green apples at Home Goods (actually they were on the list of accessories I was looking for) and they make the perfect addition to the baguette board.


I also added more apples to this antique compote found at Mission Road Antique Mall. I bought it for the sale, but after seeing it paired with the apples and living happily on the coffee table, I may have a hard time parting with it!



I've had my eye on these darling little tulips from my favorite local boutique for a while. They were having their yearly tag sale, so I scooped them up just before we headed out of town.


I had also been looking for some large faux tulips to use as a centerpiece in the spring. Nell Hill's of course had gorgeous stems, and I nabbed nine of them at just $3.25 a piece. 


These gray wash wicker chargers have been on the list for a while, and was hoping Nell Hill's would still have them. They're great to leave on our dining table day to day to add some dimension and interest to the tabletop.



Another item I picked up for the sale was this beautiful antique silver tray.


It makes a pretty perch on the side table for now though : )



I also grabbed this pretty wicker tray at Restoration Emporium because, well, I'm a sucker for both trays and wicker. It creates the perfect little "coffee station" on our counter.


I think I have to say the layering is my favorite part!

{live beautifully}
Courtney

5 comments:

  1. Lovesies! You're the best shopper/personal decorator! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A post filled with pretties . :D Luv the coffee station... the silver tray. Like I said... lots of pretties .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, lovely, lovely! And that compote is a keeper!
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coming over from Jennifer's. I enjoyed your home tour on her blog. Your home is so LOVELY and calming. I really like the way you add texture to your soothing palette.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It completely makes my day to hear from readers! {I usually respond to comments by email. If you're using blogger, make sure that your email is visible for replies. You can change this in your profile settings. Thanks!}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...