Monday, November 26, 2012

Our Christmas Living Room - Part 1

Good morning friends! Did you have a wonderful Thanksgiving? We had a very relaxing break and I was able to get our house ready for the holidays. I took way too many photos of our living room, so I'll break up the posts into two parts. Today I'll share the fireplace side of the room.



I used a lot of black, white and silver this year. It cracked me up that when Matt came into the room his reaction was, "Our Christmas decorations don't really look like Christmas." He clearly doesn't understand understated, neutral holiday decor : ) I did show him Miss Mustard Seed and Dear Lillie's feature in the BHG Christmas Ideas magazine just to prove that I was, in fact, right on trend. I don't know if he believed me or not : )


I put our Christmas tree up on my cream wicker trunk, which gives it much more presence. I also got a real pine wreath this year, which smells divine.


I really love the pops of black that anchor our mantel shelves.


I used lots and lots of pine clippings from our yard to add a touch of natural greenery. 


This might be my favorite little vignette. I ordered the pair of boy and girl silhouette votive holders from One King's Lane, and they go perfectly with the black/mercury glass theme.



You can't go wrong putting things under glass!


I love the look of the pine wreath on my chippy old door




I got the faux paperwhites from Nell Hill's on my last trip there. I had wanted some since Jennifer from Dear Lillie mentioned her paperwhites were faux, so I was thrilled when I found these at Nell Hill's. Matt also asked why I used flowers at Christmas : )




You might remember these stockings my mom made me last year from painter's drop cloths. I still love them!


I had so much fun decking our halls for Christmas! Tomorrow I'll share the other side of the room with you. If you'd like to see the living room at Christmas last year, click here (note it was before I got my new camera so the pictures are not so great!). Or click here to read all the Christmas posts.
UPDATE: Click here for part two of this year's living room!

I hope you all have a great Monday! 
{live beautifully}
Courtney

I'm linking to Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo's and Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
The Lettered Cottage

17 comments:

  1. What did you use to hang your stockings on the mantel? I thought about getting the stocking holders from pottery barn but that would mean putting another thing on the mantel and i'm trying to keep it "less is more".
    Also thought about using a thumb tack but not rally keen on the little hole in my mantel.

    So, what did you use?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I used Command hooks by 3M. They work great and come off cleanly without damaging your wood or walls. They come in all sizes. Hope that helps!
      Courtney

      Delete
  2. I thought of that. I recently painted my mantel. But was afraid that pulling it off would also take away some of the paint.

    Thanks for letting me know. I think I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so lovely! Lillie is the same way as Matt this year. She asked me how come all of our decorations were white. She told me she's pretty sure they are supposed to be red or green. Haha! So I am thinking of adding some red on the porch to satisfy her. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney,
    Oh it is so beautiful. I found you on Jennifer Rizzo's blog. Glad I found you what a great blog. I love it all is is really pretty and I am a cream and white girl so I get it. Love it.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty room to spend the Christmas season in. The neutral trend works well for your home. Hope your family embraces and enjoys it!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes men just have no idea:) It all looks great...love that old chippy door.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful room--looks so clean and bright and festive...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty and serene room ~ off to do a little display work myself now ~ lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying a neutral Christmas theme for the first time this year. Your home looks divine. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing neutrals for Christmas, Courtney! And yours is just beautiful!! It simple, natural, and oh so elegant!!! Great job!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your display is so pretty. I love white and mercury overall, and you placed everything beautifully.Your entire living room is gorgeous!

    Linking back from Holiday Home

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! Love the black too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an interesting mantle/shelving area! love the silver and rustic elements.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sweet~ I love your touches of Christmas. Sharing at the party tonight- thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty! Love the naturals added to your pretty neutral base. I especially love the old chippy door and the church under cloche.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your house looks lovely - neutral and elegant. The pops of black are unexpected for Christmas but they really work - and I adore those mercury glass silhouettes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It completely makes my day to hear from readers! {I usually respond to comments by email. If you're using blogger, make sure that your email is visible for replies. You can change this in your profile settings. Thanks!}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...