Friday, July 6, 2012

Blackberry Pie on the Fourth of July

Happy Friday friends! Did you have a good Fourth? I was up bright and early to attend a huge country estate sale with my mom and aunt. There was a whole barn and house full of things! It was very pricey, but I did find a few goodies to bring home.


This was the adorable white farmhouse where the sale was held. I wanted to move right in! {Photo from Instagram. You can follow me at username courtneymbrowning.}

As I mentioned on July 4, I got the itch to try my hand at a pie. I've never made a pie before, but it just sounded so delicious in this summer heat, and fit right into the all-America feeling of Fourth of July. Below is the recipe I used.



Lattice-Top Blackberry Pie


Ingredients
  • 6 cups (1 3/4 pounds) blackberries
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 2 disks refrigerated pie dough (one 14-ounce package)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
  • 1 large egg




Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F with a baking sheet on the middle rack. In a large bowl, toss the blackberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and lemon zest. Let stand, mixing and coarsely mashing occasionally, 20 minutes.


Fit one round of dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim the edges, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Refrigerate while you continue. Cut the remaining piece of dough into approximately eleven 11/4-inch-wide strips.


Spoon the blackberry mixture into the pie shell. Dot the top with the butter. Arrange the dough strips in a lattice pattern on top of the filling and trim the strips close to the edge of the pan; roll up and crimp the edge. Lightly beat the egg with 1 tablespoon water and brush on the top and edge of the pie.

Place the pie on the hot baking sheet in the oven and bake until the filling is bubbling, 45 minutes to 1 hour. If the crust browns too quickly, cover it with foil and continue baking. Let the pie cool before serving.





Here's the finished product! Not perfect, but totally delicious! It would have been even better with vanilla ice cream, though we didn't have any on hand.


I used these directions for the lattice-top.


God bless my little 50mm lens...it makes me look like I actually know how to do photography : )



I picked up the soft green scale at a flea market we went to after the farmhouse sale. It was covered in dirt and I thought it was going to be a robin's egg blue, but it turned out it's more of a minty aqua green with a cream top. I love the shade and think I'll use it in our bathroom.



Poor Matt had to suffer through my photo shoot before he could get a taste of the pie. He's a very patient husband : )



I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

{live beautifully}
Courtney



2 comments:

  1. oh yum. Big dollop of vanilla ice cream for me as well, please! Love that house, I'll move in too and then we can eat pie and blog away together :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For never having made a pie before, yours look beautiful and scrumptious! Your lattice work is right on! I'd like a big slice of that right now. I have a tiny tip. If your berries are extra juicy, try add a touch more cornstarch in with your filling. You are on the way to a county fair blue ribbon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It completely makes my day to hear from readers! {I usually respond to comments by email. If you're using blogger, make sure that your email is visible for replies. You can change this in your profile settings. Thanks!}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...