Thursday, December 9, 2010

Vanilla Sugar


Happy Christmastime everyone! I've been a merry little elf making more wonderful gifts. This time I wanted to make some fun, easy little hostess gifts for a few of the parties I'm going to. When I saw this vanilla sugar recipe, I knew it would be the perfect thing.



Here are the materials you'll need to make your own vanilla sugar:

1. Vanilla beans (I had a bit of a time finding these, but they are in a little glass bottle in the baking spices section, and it looks just like all the other spice bottles. I was thinking they'd be in a box or something so I had a hard time seeing them. Also, just a fair warning they are a tad bit pricey, but not terrible.)
2. Sugar
3. Mason jars or pretty glass containers
4. Various cute wrapping things like hanging tags, ribbon, baubles, etc.



Directions
1. I used a pint jar and put in 1 1/2 cups of sugar


2. Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise
3. Cut each half into three sections so you have six pieces
4. I used three pieces in each jar, but the more you use the stronger the vanilla flavor
5. Put vanilla in sugar, close lid and shake around a little


6. Tie on baubles and present to hostess


Soooo easy but so fun and tasty! For the tags, I wanted to stamp "vanilla sugar" onto each but my stamps wouldn't fit on the little tags, so I stamped them with just a little star and then hand wrote the rest. Pretty cute huh?



Vanilla sugar is great for anything regular sugar is for. Put it in your coffee for a little extra flavor, bake with it, sprinkle it on toast, etc, etc.



Also, I LOVE these mason jars. I was just running out to buy some when I spotted Rie's post at Home and Harmony about Better Homes and Gardens jars from Walmart. They were just what I had in mind. They have a beautiful aqua tint and a pretty lattice pattern.


I tied on cinnamon sticks and a little ornament on mine, but you could do any creative thing your little heart desires. Mini pinecones, berries, greens, flowers, lavender stems, little nests, and on and on.

Well, I'm off to the next project! Have a sweet day!

{live beautifully}
Courtney

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a hostess gift, Cortney! I love to put gifts in jars... it makes wrapping so easy, and they look pretty. :) I LOVE the jars you found at Wal-Mart... the lattice pattern is sweet!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Holidays!
    ~ Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Sorry for the typo in your name "Courtney"... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jo! Love your blog and so happy you stopped by!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! What a great gift idea :)

    xoxo!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It completely makes my day to hear from readers! {I usually respond to comments by email. If you're using blogger, make sure that your email is visible for replies. You can change this in your profile settings. Thanks!}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...