Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The $20 Gift Challenge

Hello friends! I have been on a shopping adventure today! I have a Christmas party coming up and it includes a gift exchange with gifts worth no more than $20. Now this got my little head spinning. I knew I could do your usual mug and Starbucks gift card. Or do a pair of sparkly earrings or a bracelet. Or even get some cute home item for $20. But you all know I'm a thrifty shopper. I knew I could make that $20 go a long way, and make it look like a whole lot more for whatever girl would be the recipient. I know I love to get a pretty present I actually enjoy, so I wanted to do the same for someone else.

Where else to start but my bargain-hunting headquarters, TJ Maxx! I had a rough idea of what I'd do in my mind, so I went in to find just the thing. Target and the Dollar Tree also came in handy. Here's what I ended up with.


Some pretty good loot, huh? Here's the cost breakdown:

- apothecary jar: $10 at TJ Maxx
- distressed frame: $4 at TJ Maxx
- silver glass ornaments: $3 at Dollar Tree (3 boxes of 7 for $1/box)
- silver tray: $1 at Dollar Tree
- white pillar candle: $1 at Target (well, it rang up $2.99 but the shelf was marked as $1 and they gave it to me for that price)
- mercury glass votive holder: $1 at Target

Aaaand here's the finished product...





I didn't count the wrapping in the cost, but it was 50 cents for the celo bag and $1 for the sparkly silver ribbon, both from Dollar Tree.

So there you go! The $20 gift challenge conquered! Would you like to get this gift at a party? I sure hope so! : )

{live beautifully}
Courtney

I'm linking up to the Tuesday's Treasures party at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia.

6 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea! I actually have a $20 gift exchange next week and this is perfect! :)

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work, bestie! It looks so upscale and beautiful!!!

    I sure love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful gift, definitely a collection anyone would love!! I love shopping at Target and Dollar Tree! I will have to check Target for those candle holders, they are so cute!
    ~michelle~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous!!
    Looks more like a $50 gift, I love it!
    XO
    Kristin
    PS THanks for linking, I'll be featuring it on Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! It was such a fun project to work on. Kristin, thanks so much for being willing to feature it! I may or may not have screamed at the top of my lungs when I read that : )
    Happy Christmas everyone!
    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It completely makes my day to hear from readers! {I usually respond to comments by email. If you're using blogger, make sure that your email is visible for replies. You can change this in your profile settings. Thanks!}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...